Step back in time and enjoy the holidays the old-fashioned way with Dickens Christmas, as Skaneateles Area Businesses give a gift to the public for their continued support throughout the year. Plan now and join the Village of Skaneateles, located in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, this holiday season.
An annual tradition, the celebration begins the day after Thanksgiving and runs every Saturday and Sunday through December 24th from noon to 4 pm. Charles Dickens and his cast of over 50 characters will interact with residents and visitors in the streets, stores and restaurants. Don't miss lively acts at the Library (and Mother Goose too!), live music, unique shopping, wonderful food and carriage rides around the Village.
SPECIAL EVENT: Dinner with Dickens and Friends! Thursday, December 13 at Mirbeau Inn and Spa at 6 pm.
"The Festival Fanatics" made a surprise visit to the Dickens Festival in Skaneateles on December 2nd. Click on this link to see video of the characters in action, and what they loved about Dickens Christmas! http://newyorkstatefestivals.com/2012/12/02/it-feels-like-london-at-the-dickens-christmas-in-skaneateles-video-photos/
Celebrate the Christmas Season and watch literature brought to life, as Charles Dickens and Company perform a live rendition of A Christmas Carol. Enjoy a traditional English Prime Rib dinner with special child friendly options available for the youngsters. This interactive dinner will be great fun for youngsters and for everyone who is young at heart, music included. $36++ Adults, $18++ Children under 14. Entertainment provided by Scarlett Rat Entertainment as seen in Skaneateles' popular Dickens Christmas.
- Christmas carol sing-along, The Revels Live, at 2 p.m. at the Gazebo with the entire Dickens cast. (Bad weather place is the Sherwood House.)
- Free horse and wagon rides around the Village. Pick up in front of the Sherwood Inn. Sponsored by the Old Stone Mill and the Village Inn.
- Free roasted chestnuts in front of Johnny Angels, donated by TOPS Market, and roasted by Mid-Lakes Navigation.
- Mother Goose reads holiday stories to the children at the Skaneateles Library
- Father Christmas greets the children on the porch of the Masonic Temple (13 E. Genesee St.) each weekend day from noon to 2 p.m. He will have special treats for especially good children.
- Special shows at the Skaneateles Library at 1 and 3 pm. (except November 26th). John Henry Anderson, the great magician, will appear on several weekends (dates to be announced) Free, however donations are welcome.
- Every Saturday, and Sunday during Dickens Christmas - visit the Mirbeau Inn & Spa Winter Wonderland "French Country Christmas Display." Enjoy free spiced hot cider, hot cocoa and cookies from noon to 4 pm! 851 West Genesee Street, Skaneateles. 315-685-5006 or 877-MIRBEAU (647-2328)
- Get your picture taken professionally by James Peluso in front of the Currier & Ives cutter sleigh by the Mirbeau Christmas tree ever Saturday during Dickens at Mirbeau Inn & Spa . Make it your holiday photo. 851 West Genesee Street, Skaneateles. 315-685-5006 or 877-MIRBEAU (647-2328)
- The Dickens characters will be acting out scenes from a Christmas Carol on the steps of the Masonic Temple at 12:30, 1:30 and 3:30. These interactive trunk shows are sponsored by the Summit Auto Group.
FOR THE 5th Year YEAR!!!! Don't miss the World's Smallest Christmas Parade Ever on opening day, Friday, November 23rd at noon. Watch for Charles Dickens and his entourage as they meander down Fennell Street, turn right onto Jordan Street, then right onto Genesee Street to their grand opening on the porch of the Sherwood House next to the Sherwood Inn at 12:10 pm.
- MANY THANKS TO OUR MEDIA SPONSORS: Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance, Galaxy Communications/Sunny 102, Scotsman Media Group, Skaneateles Journal, Skaneateles Press/Eagle Newspapers, The Post Standard and The Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau!
Dancers, carolers, live music and special events flow in and around the weekend celebrations, making for wonderful family memories. A live brass band plays every Saturday on the village streets; a bagpiper or two may be found entertaining on Sundays; and local musical groups share their many talents in that heartwarming Dickens' spirit. Beware of mean old Scrooge roaming the streets.....but, he may have a nice surprise for you.
Father Christmas will be glad to listen to all the children to get their wish list for the big day. Father Christmas will be on the porch of the Masonic Temple from 12:15-2 pm, and 3-4pm each Dickens day. The Masonic Temple is located at 13 E. Genesee Street.
And don't forget to visit the unique area shops and restaurants that will be open throughout the Dickens' events. The shopping district includes Genesee, Jordan and Fennell Streets. Enjoy a slower paced, more enjoyable atmosphere where shopping can still be fun. Our 70 plus shops and restaurants are the perfect addition to a holiday vacation.
If you want to be a true shopper and don't want the hustle and bustle of a Dickens weekend be sure to come back to Skaneateles any weekday. Our shop owners will welcome you with open arms and be able to give you individual attention. December 11th we are having a special shopping day in Skaneateles called LADIES DAY. You will find specials and discounts in the stores, enter to win great prizes in a raffle, and get a free drink coupon for one of our area restaurants. Stop by the Skaneateles Chamber office at 22 Jordan Street for a free Dickens ornament with any purchase. (Skaneateles Gift Certificates included!)
Skaneateles now has a winery: Anyela's Vineyards. Be sure to visit them just 4 short miles down West Lake Road on Route 41A! We also have our own glassworks...Snake Oil Glassworks just 2 short miles north on Jordan Rd. in the hamlet of Mottville.
Make a day or a weekend of it! We have wonderful accommodations ranging from B&B's, inns, and affordable priced motels. There is plenty to do in the area, and Skaneateles is conveniently located in Central New York on historic Route 20. We are just 25 minutes from Syracuse and an hour-and-a-half from Rochester, and an hour ad 15 minutes from Binghamton.
For additional questions contact the Skaneateles Area Chamber of Commerce at 315-685-0552.
Free horse and wagon rides around the village leaving from the Sherwood Inn. Stopping at Creekside Books and Coffee on Kelly Street. Carriage rides are provided by O'Brien's Farm and Stables. New this year: Look for a few special places around the Village for "Official Dickens Photo Spots". Take pictures and then post your pictures on the Dickens Christmas facebook page.
|Thank you to our 2012 sponsors!|
Father Christmas Sponsors: Angel's Heavenly Burgers, CNY Fertility Center/CNY Healing Arts, Rhubarb, Sherwood Inn, SRC Arena, Summit Auto Group, The Old Stone Mill and Village Inn, TOPS Friendly Markets, Verizon, Village Inn of Skaneateles
Charles Dickens Sponsors: Anyela's Vineyards, Bluewater Grill, Creekside Books & Coffee, Doug's Fish Fry, Fleur-de-lis Florist, Group M Communications, Imagine, Joe's Pasta Garage, Key Bank of NY, LakeHouse Pub, Paris Flea, Pomodoro, Skaneateles Bakery, Skaneateles Library, Skaneateles Town Square, Skaneateles YMCA and Community Center, Wegman's