FIRST FRIDAY ART WALK and OPEN HOUSE
The First Friday of every month is a special one from May through December in Skaneateles. It is a night to celebrate the arts in Skaneateles, as well as stroll the streets and the shops, and grab a bite to eat at one of the many local restaurants. You will be amazed at the talents of the potters, painters, poets and musicians in our community. It is also a night for all the unique shops in Skaneateles to showcase what is new. Many businesses will also have refreshments for you as well! Come to First Friday in Skaneateles!
Skaneateles welcomes the return of First Friday May 2.
The May to December romance of the arts, now in its eighth year, features artwork from students in the Skaneateles Central School District, along with gallery openings, tastings and entertainment. The event runs 5 to 8 p.m., with some shops open later.
Participating shops will fly First Friday flags outside their establishments and distribute First Friday passports and maps. Visitors who get their passports stamped at any three locations will be entered into a drawing for a $25 Chamber gift certificate.
"We invite everyone to join us and explore all that the village has to offer," says Susan Dove, executive director of the Skaneateles Area Chamber of Commerce. "We're beginning an hour earlier this year, and we have an exciting season planned."
Art openings will be held at:
• Imagine, 38 E. Genesee St., which will feature watercolors by Christy Lemp, along with student artwork and music by the Usual Suspects.
• Skaneateles Artisans, 3 Fennell St. (under the Old Stone Mill), which will host "Let Art Spring Into Your Life" and a tasting by 4 Tin Fish Farm.
• Gallery 54, 54 E. Genesee St., which will present "Wings Over Gallery 54: An Artful Collection of Things That Fly," along with student artwork. Syracuse singer/songwriter Jane Zell will perform.
* Glass-blowing demonstrations will be held at Snake Oil Glassworks, 4251 Jordan Road, just 2 miles north of the Village.
Student artwork will also be displayed at: Aristocats & Dogs, Bijou (which will also feature paintings by Hetty Easter), cate&sally, Fleur-de-lis Florist, Hobby House Toys, Johnny Angel's, Pomodoro, Pride and Joy, Rhubarb (which will offer samples of its gourmet dips and sauces), Roland's, Skaneateles 300, The Country Ewe, The Garage Eatz, Vermont Green Mountain, White & White Antiques and White Sleigh/Etc.
"At the end of the evening, cap off First Friday with a drink or a delicious dessert at one of our taverns or restaurants," suggests Dove.
In upcoming months:
• First Friday will feature wine and beer tastings June 6, along with the creation of a Skaneateles "Happy" dance video shot around town. The video will be produced by Justin Mayer Videography and the Chamber's Tourism Committee.
• A limited First Friday will be held July 4, due to the holiday.
Local artists who would like to participate in First Friday should contact the Skaneateles Area Chamber of Commerce at 685-0552.
Watch for details here about a very special June 6th First Friday where we will be producing a Skaneateles Happy Video. Come down and be a part of it all!
Local artists or wineries and breweries who would like to participate in upcoming First Fridays should contact the Skaneateles Area Chamber of Commerce at 685-0552.
For more information on First Friday, go to http://www.skaneateles.com or http://www.facebook.com/SkaneatelesFirstFriday.
"We invite everyone to join us and explore all that the village has to offer," says Susan Dove, executive director of the Skaneateles Area Chamber of Commerce. "
A special thank you to First Friday in Skaneateles' media sponsors:
- Skaneateles Journal
- Group M Communications
- Skaneateles Area Arts Council (SKARTS)
- The participating businesses of First Friday (this map will be updated the week of April 28th) Here is a map of the Skaneateles Village. All participating merchants in the First Friday program have a moon next to their location. Some may have artists, others may not.